Sunday 11 October 2009

Patong, Kata and the beginnings of Phuket Town

Patong proved to be just as i expected so only spent one night there. I can see why people love it but it's just a "lads holiday" place really and a victim of glottalization and mass tourism that seems to be creeping through here. The sights of McDonalds, KFC's, English bars and their bigg marketesque inhabitants aren't really what i wanted to see while traveling so just moved on.
Patong did however bring one great experience in the supermarket of all places. We were casually walking about while Hol got excited at the sight of various boxes and cartoon animals (you know you were haha) when a song started playing. All of a sudden the whole staff formed two long lines and preceded to do a dance routine that Steps and Bucks Fizz would've been proud of in their pomp. It was even better that the Thais just went on as usual while everyone else stopped to see what the hell was going on. I'll give Asda 6 months before they start doing it.....On the evening we sat and watched the insanity that is Bruno (hoping nobody would enter the common room during the especially insane bits) and that was it for patong. I saw Holly off onto the bus the next morning and then headed to the beaches of Kata myself.
After some initial difficulty finding it i stopped on the beach all day and it was just incredible. Lonely planet came up trumps once again for my accommodation at the lucky guesthouse and everyone is really nice. On the evenings it is a bit dead though.  I'd not eaten all day so decided to go for a few beers, a meal and see if there was anyone about. There's loads of bars but not many people so it's they're all empty making it hard to stop somewhere. Those that have a few are full of thai girls hollering at you across the street, always flattering but they're clearly on the prowl for their English sugar daddy haha. I soon realized to that i'm the only English person in Kata too, it's a massive Scandinavian resort which doesn't make it any easier and since the weather is poor ( I went from cooking in the sun to hiding in a bar for 3 hours from rain in 5 minutes) at the moment i decided to move on to Phuket town.
This started badly as i realized i left my phone in my room half way there, thankfully after minor panic the driver took me back and it was still there. I shan't be doing that again.....(i know it will like).
I've just had a look around here and theres loads of backpackers of various nationality and met some people already. This is much more better, i was enjoying sitting on the beach hammering through Capote's in cold Blood (great book) but the nights were just a bid too quiet and full of nutcase thai bargirls. I think ill buy a camera tomorrow and then go onto visit a national park and see what happens. I'm also staying in the hostel off the beach which is pretty bloody good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment